Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas 2011

What a busy couple weeks! We kicked off our holiday break by having a mini-Christmas here in Charlotte so that we could celebrate as a family. Libby opened one present from us and Tom and I exchanged gifts. Its funny how becoming parents changes your perspective on everything, including gift-giving. This year, we really didn't care about the gifts we got each other--with Libby in the picture, buying ourselves some new gadget suddenly didn't seem all that important after all. Tom and I gave ourselves a very minimal budget to come up with something creative for the other person. I planned a year of budget-friendly date nights for Tom and I and he made me a "photo bouquet." Now, I know a photo bouquet may not have been on the top of everyone's wish lists this year (it certainly wasn't on my radar), but I bawled my eyes out when he gave it to me because the idea of Tom going to Michael's craft store on his own (he HATES that place) and then crafting me a Christmas gift using the little-to-no crafting skills he has made my heart smile.



After exchanging our family gifts, we made the bold decision to pile in the car at 6 pm and make the drive to Ohio into the night. It turned out to be a great decision because Libby slept almost the entire way and we didn't feel like we wasted a day sitting in the car.

The next morning, the whirlwind began. We spent the week going back and forth between my parents' house and Tom's parents' house. Libby was SUCH a trooper, sleeping in a pack-n-play here, a port-a-crib there, and letting anyone and everyone hold her. We spent Christmas Eve with Tom's family before heading to Swidarski's for pre-church dinner. Libby stayed awake and happy through all of the 10 o'clock mass we attended (can you say "Christmas miracle"?!)

Libby's first antipasto experience. She liked the bread.



Christmas morning was spent at my parents' house. Libby played the role of typical one year old and showed some interest in her gifts, but mostly just had the "deer in headlights" look all morning. In the afternoon, we headed over to Tom's uncle's house and had Christmas dinner with Tom's family.

Her first "coming down the stairs on Christmas morning" face.

Loves her new chair and blanket!

Libby literally grabbed this huge hunk of steak off of my plate during Christmas dinner. What can we say? The girl has good taste.

Think Aunt Mary will notice if I steal her iPhone while she's sleeping?

Over the course of the next few days, we opened gifts with Tom's family, played lots of family games, drank lots of adult beverages and Tom and I even managed to sneak in a lunch date alone! We hope this was the first of many merry Christmases to come for us and Libby!

No comments:

Post a Comment