Sunday, October 12, 2014

Juliet: Six Months

Height/Weight:  TBD (well check next week)

Diapers and Clothes: Size 3 diapers, 6-9 month clothes

Health: Where to begin? This month was a nightmare when it comes to the health/sleep categories. We realized the reflux medicine from month five wasn't working; you were still having screaming marathons multiple times a day. We're talking two hours of full on screaming two-three times a day, getting progressively worse as the day went on. Bedtime was horrendous. You would scream and scream and scream and there was no consoling you. You wake in the middle of the night multiple times and scream--you wouldn't even eat, and I could tell you were so uncomfortable. We tried gas drops, gripe water, burping you, bicycling your legs, walking with you, rocking you, driving around in the car with you, swinging you, holding you. We switched to a different reflux med, which didn't work either. We finally did a trial run of hypoallergenic formula in desperation and it was like magic! You were a different baby after 24 hours on formula. I didn't want to give up nursing so I pumped a lot for a whole week while we got you back on track with formula and visits to the chiropractor. I started an elimination diet (no soy, dairy, wheat, nuts, fish, corn, caffeine or eggs) and started nursing again. You finally started sleeping and stopped screaming. I'm midway through the elimination diet now, so while we don't yet know what it is that bothers you, we're fairly confident that there is a food sensitivity somewhere. Hopefully, as I add things back into my diet, we will be able to pinpoint the problem.

Sleep: This month was so, so difficult. My patience was really tested. You weren't on much of a schedule at all because some days you were comfortable enough to nap for a short time and other days you were so miserable that you wouldn't nap at all. One day, you clocked nine hours sleep total on a 24 hour period. It was awful. I could tell that you really needed/wanted at least three naps a day though and if we could get your tummy issues under control, your schedule probably would have looked something like this: wake at 7, nap 8-9, nap 10-11, nap 1-3, nap 4:30-5:30, bed at 7:30 (with 2-3 night wakings). I'm really okay with the night feedings at this point. I'm just so glad that you're falling asleep happily at night and for naps that having to get up to feed you is no big deal. 

Eating:  You nurse about seven times a day. We haven't started solids yet because we wanted to get your tummy discomfort under control first. We will give you a bottle of formula once a day or so to help fill you up before bed but it hasn't made much of a noticeable difference. 

Baby Gear Love: Nutramigen formula. Okay, so it's not "gear," and I'm still very pro-breastfeeding, but this crazy-expensive formula saved my sanity this month. If not for the week that we switched you to this liquid gold (literally, because that's pretty much how much it costs), I don't know where we would be. I'm so glad we didn't have to switch permanently, but this stuff was a lifesaver while we hashed out your issues. Also, Halo sleep sacks. With cold nights kicking in around here, I'm rediscovering my love of these blankets. I can sleep soundly knowing you won't kick off your blankets and end up cold at night. The Ergo is awesome for football games. We both stay warm and you sleep happily while bundled up during those late Friday nights.

Likes: Putting things in your mouth--everything goes into your mouth and you are constantly grabbing for everything you can get your hands on! Mirrors--you love looking at yourself. Feeling textures--your hands are always grabbing at things and then opening and closing to explore them. Teeter toys, baths, Libby, being held (you love to keep tabs on what's going on!)

Dislikes: Sleeping. Getting strapped into the car seat. Being on your belly.

Milestones: You can sit up very briefly if we prop you up. You roll back to belly all the time but refuse to roll belly to back even though I've seen you do it before. We started giving you a sippy cup while we eat dinner. Mostly you just chew on it but you love it. You can yell although you spend most of your time listening to your loudmouth big sister. 

Other Stuff to Remember: You started balding this month. Libby did the same thing at your age and it took a few months for her hair (on the sides especially) to come back in. It looks like you'll follow the same pattern. We took you to your first Delaware county fair this month (you slept most of the time). When you weren't uncomfortable and exhausted, you really are a sweet, happy baby. That's one of the things that has made this so hard--I can tell that you so desperately just want to be happy, but you're hurting so you can't. When you're feeling well, you're always smiling and laughing at us. You get so excited to see Libby and I. When you get excited, you get a huge smile on your face and your hands and feet start moving like crazy. You're always "twirling" your feet too--they are constantly in motion! 








No comments:

Post a Comment