Sunday, February 23, 2014

Life These Days

If I had to choose one word to describe life in our house lately, hands down, the word I would choose would be "exhausting." It's a mostly good kind of exhausting, but exhausting nonetheless.

Libby is three. Veteran moms warned me time and time again about three, and they weren't lying. Libby is stubborn, opinionated and smart, which is a combination that I'm sure will serve her well one day but for now, it's kicking my ass. Truth be told, the whole parenting thing has been relatively painless for me up until recently. The newborn stage was a breeze. Even early toddlerhood seemed pretty easy. But this stage...this is the stage where I really need my mom to come stay with me for a week and people to bring me dinners and offer to drop by and throw in a load of laundry for me like they did when I was a new mom. 


She looks sweet, I know, but look closely--can you see the fire in those eyes? 

Then there's the minor detail that I'm super, super pregnant. That means I'm physically worn down before the day even begins and I'm hyper emotional--a deadly combination, especially for a mom of a "spirited" three year old. Some days, I have no idea how I will make it another 6 weeks of pregnancy. And then I remember that waiting on the other side of this little journey is a newborn who will screw with my sleep and our schedule so then I think maybe I should just enjoy life as I know it before our world gets totally turned upside down.


33 1/2 weeks. So large. So uncomfortable.
And as if having a three year old and being pregnant wasn't enough, we decide to go and buy a house. (Yes, we found a house!) We are scheduled to close on said house April 1st--exactly 10 days before my due date (and keep in mind that Libby was born two weeks early). We are simultaneously thinking two things these days--"Yay! We can't wait to move!" and "Holy crap, how are we going to pull this off?" When I try to sort out the details and possible timelines in my mind, I start to go a little crazy so I just try to be all Pollyanna about it and pretend it's all going to work out fabulously.

I imagine that sometime around June, I will start to feel a little normal again, like my life is sort of in control. And when that day comes, we are going to sit in our new house with our new baby and our sweet Libby and when someone asks, "What's new?," we will happily answer, "Absolutely nothing!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment