Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Wedding, Take 2

After my last post about wedding season, I started thinking about our wedding. After all, our anniversary is two weeks away, so at this time four years ago, we were in the thick of last-minute wedding day preparations. It seems like so long ago. Maybe its the four jobs, three moves, two cars, and one baby that makes our pre-married days seem like an eternity ago, or maybe its just that we're apparently getting old, but when I go to weddings now, I feel like I'm in some sort of Twilight Zone ("Ah yes, I recall something like this happening to me once, but I can't quite put my finger on it..."). So lame, I know, but its true.

I loved our wedding, I really, truly did. I know, everyone thinks they had the most fun wedding in the history of weddings, but seriously...ours was fantastic. We got married in the pre-Pinterest era (brides now have an unfair advantage--back in my day, we had to flip through (gasp!) Brides magazine for ideas!), so there were no cute little handmade signs or cleverly posed photo ops, or perfectly choreographed dances, but we got married almost exactly one year after graduating from OU so basically we hosted a college reunion where two people happened to get married. Most of our friends were still very single and all of them could still hold their liquor amazingly well, so it was a blast. The waitstaff at our reception venue as well as our photographer all said they had never seen a group of people have more fun at a reception in all their years. Mid-reception, when we requested the "drinks" spilled on the dance floor be wiped up, the wedding coordinator at the Sheraton had to inform us that there were, in fact, no spilled drinks...just tons of sweat from the ridiculous amount of people packed onto the dance floor (both a mortifying and proud moment in my life). Tom and I left our wedding reception confident we had the most awesome friends and family in the whole world.



The pictures don't even do it justice.
 Sometimes I think about what my wedding might look like if I were planning it now instead of four years ago. It might be smaller and more intimate--I had never even met a number of guests at my wedding before. It might be a casual outdoor event in the spring--July was hot, folks and a traditional, formal wedding just doesn't do it for me these days. Our 2013 wedding might have cute, country-inspired touches like lemonade in mason jars and picnic tables and lights strung up under a tent. I might wear something a little more vintage and I'd do my own makeup. There would be no chair covers, or elaborate centerpieces or overlays on the tables.

Be still, my heart.

 But there'd be this guy:


And these people:

And that, I wouldn't change for the world.

1 comment:

  1. It was and will always be the best and worst day of my life. I had a lot of fun for a guy who was facing the reality of losing a daughter to some other dude (who by the way I agree is highly worthy & deserving). Thanks for the walk (or dance) back down memory lane. Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete