Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Our Just Right House

We've been in our house for exactly 18 months now, which probably doesn't seem like all that long, but when you consider the fact that we lived three other places for 6-9 months each prior to this,  18 months is basically an eternity.

In those 18 months, we've worked really hard to make our house match the vision we had for it when we bought it. We've painted, we've demo-ed, we've nailed and glued, we've tiled. And then we've painted and nailed and tiled some more. We've hired help here and there because we've learned our physical and mental limits. We've experienced the frustration and disappointment of projects gone awry and felt the pride and sense of accomplishment in seeing a vision come to life.

Remember this hallway before? This is actually an upgrade from its "move-in" condition, where all the doors and trim were oak.

Ta-da! New doors, hardware and paint make a world of difference!
I had resigned myself to really disliking this bathroom when we moved in. On a whim, I decided to paint the walls and vanity and add beadboard. One million percent improvement.

And while some might argue that the aesthetic of a home is just that, I would argue that its so much more. We've put time and effort (and yes, money) into making our home a place where we can welcome friends and family and raise our children surrounded by things that make them (and us!) feel cozy and safe and happy.

I really hated this kitchen when we moved in. Now, there are so many things I love about it.
Our master bedroom is tiny. So, so tiny. But I love these curtains, so I don't even mind tripping over the dogs and Tom.

 You probably noticed that I recently gave this blog a little makeover. There were a few reasons for that (the main one being that for privacy reasons, I wanted to disassociate our last name with the blog). So why did I settle on "Life in a Little Blue House"? Because the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this house is so much of who we are.

So many things to love here--my grandmother's old table and chandelier, refinished, an antique Delaware Furniture chair, a farm painting from my parents' house, the spindles we had re-done in wrought iron.

I love to sit by this window. The area is still a work in progress but I love these curtains, which were a splurge for me and totally worth every penny.

When we were looking for homes, I kept telling Tom I wanted a house that spoke to me. This house speaks to me. It says, "Come in, stay a while. Make some memories. I'm not big or fancy or extravagant but I have everything you need and I'm comfortable and I'm real."

I stole this shelf from a closet at my parents' house last time we visited.  
 I am not a photographer (so shocking, I know.) So I really can't even get a good shot of this thing but it is my favorite piece in the house. We picked it up off the side of the road in my parents' neighborhood and I refinished it. 

And really, that's us. We're not elaborate or excessive. We live a modest life. But like our home, our lives are filled with simple (sometimes flawed) beauties. An heirloom kitchen table where we gather for dinner, a weed-stricken backyard where Libby invents entire imaginary worlds, a secondhand glider chair where I've spent countless hours rocking and reading. None of it is lavish, but it is all so very valuable.
This space, while not aesthetically beautiful, is so important to me. What I wanted more than anything in a home was a great play space for my children to call their own. Mission accomplished.

This Little Blue House is not perfect by any means, and neither are we. But I can honestly say that my heart is happy to call this place and these people home--this is perfect for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment