Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Our First Mother's Day

We had a nice, quiet weekend--nothing super special for Mother's Day, which is pretty much what I wanted. Tom bought me some cupcakes from a local bakery that were delicious and then he made me breakfast on Sunday morning before church. Libby even behaved herself in church, which is a rarity. Then we clipped coupons, made a list and went to the grocery store before ordering pizza for dinner :) I told Tom I didn't care what we had for dinner as long as I didn't have to cook, so pizza was just fine with me. All in all, I had a nice first Mother's Day. I tried to just spend the day enjoying Libby as much as possible--after all, I wouldn't be celebrating Mother's Day as a mom if it weren't for her!

The past two days have been exhausting with Libby. After four months of having the "dream sleeper," she has decided that she will not nap without first screaming her lungs out. She has learned how to scream--not just an "I'm uncomfortable, come get me" cry, but a "I am so pissed off right now, I want the world to know" cry. Bauer has even taking to whining and barking along with her when she does it. I don't know what's up with her, but she won't fall asleep unless she's nursing and she won't nurse for very long before fussing, so its a vicious cycle. Yesterday, I ended up in tears while trying to put her to bed and I told Tom it was the second most exhausting day of motherhood yet (the first being our 3rd day home from the hospital). Today, when I taught religious ed, I left Libby with the child care lady there for the first time. I needed a break like I've never needed a break in my whole life. She did well for the lady there, although I peeked in a couple times and the lady was rocking Libby in the carseat like crazy trying to get her to sleep. After we got home, I fed Libby (and as usual, she wouldn't eat much, but cried when she wasn't eating), so I gave her a bottle in desperation. She drank the whole thing plus part of another bottle. All this AFTER nursing! And then she was happy as a clam, and even fell asleep without screaming. This leads me to think that maybe she hasn't been having enough to eat. I could be way off though...all I know is that this parenting thing is exhausting! Hopefully tonight and tomorrow will go better though.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah! I'm so sorry - but I REALLY got such a chuckle while reading this - you are SO expressive!! I could just piture Bauer singing right along with Libby - both driving you out of your mind. You're probably right though - she may not be getting enough to eat. So much is trial and error - remember to always just use your best judgement - you'll be fine!! love you.......gg

    ReplyDelete