The first official day of school for Catawba County was yesterday and Tom had a great day! He called me during his planning period and told me things had gone really well in the morning. He had some good icebreaker activities planned for the kids so they weren't just sitting listening to him read rules to them all class period, and I think they appreciated that. He said the kids seemed to really like the activities he had for them and enjoyed finding out some stuff about him from his "Meet the Teacher" board that someone kindly made for him. He even had one of his football players tell him after school that Tom's class was the best class he had all day!
The night before school started was Open House and Tom actually had a pretty good turnout, which is apparently unusual. He said a lot of the parents really liked the idea of a class Twitter account, which Tom has set up here.
Tom had the kids fill out information sheets and we got a good laugh from some of their answers to his questions (apparently, tree climbing and "muddin'" are popular hobbies in Maiden). One student requested that Tom call him Weezy, which also happens to be the name of a popular-but-not-such-a-great-role-model rapper. Another student thought it was vital Tom know she doesn't like the color blue and yet another made sure to tell Tom he suffers from pyromania. A few warned Tom that they might fall asleep in class and one girl was very honest, writing "I suck at this subject" on her info sheet.
Looks like Tom has a fun year in store! He's really excited about everything and couldn't be happier, which makes everyone happy :) He told me that he doesn't mind driving 45 minutes to get to work because he's just really happy to be there. The first JV football game is tonight, so I'm headed there this evening for game 1 of 2 this week!
I thought about Tom a lot yesterday - and- today. I knew he would do a great job! He's waited a long time for this opportunity - and I'm sure he'll be pretty happy for some time to come. His ideas, ie meet the teacher, learning about the kids, activities on the 1st day - the kids will see him as a food roll model as well as their teacher. I'm SO excited for him!!! Good luck to him on his 1st JV game!!
ReplyDelete******typo****** I meant "GOOD" roll model
ReplyDelete