Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Secret's Out!

Most everyone knows by now about our wonderful news, so I guess I can start blogging about it now--we're having a baby!! It was a big surprise for us and it took a week or so for it to really sink in, but now that we have had some time to digest it all, we are very happy and excited! Thank you to all of our family and friends who have been so happy to celebrate with us and who also honored our "gag order" for a couple weeks until we were ready to tell the world.
For those of you who don't know the details yet...I found out I was pregnant two days before Mother's Day and I immediately panicked. I went to work that morning and was really quiet until I just couldn't keep it in anymore and I blurted it out to some of my co-workers. They were immediately super excited and began interrogating me on how I was going to tell Tom. After much thought, I went home and bought 2 cigars. I gave them to him and said "One is to calm your nerves, because trust me, you're going to need it. The other one is for you to celebrate with after you calm down." Had had no idea what I was talking about and he was caught way off guard when I finally told him point blank. It took him a few hours to let it sink in, but after a while, he settled down and decided he should take me to dinner :) We decided to keep quiet about it for a while until after we met with the doctor, although I did get in touch with a couple girls from college who recently had babies to ask them for some advice.

Our first doctor's visit was pretty uneventful. They confirmed the pregnancy and gave us some introductory reading material. Tom was happy to see that the ob/gyn's office subscribes to ESPN magazine. That's how I bribe him to go to appointments with me. On the second visit, they decided to do an ultrasound to figure out just how far along I was. We got to see the heartbeat and they even picked it up on the Doppler (124 bpm). Tom wanted to know if they could tell whether it was a boy or a girl. Obviously, he was a little disappointed when they told him he couldn't know until August. I'm still not sold on finding out the gender, and I'm hoping to sway Tom to my side by then anyways. Based on the ultrasound, my bloodwork and the dates I gave them, they determined that I was about 6 weeks along and my due date would be January 9, 2011. That means that as of today, I am 8 weeks and 3 days pregnant!


We met with another doctor yesterday, who just did a general physical and answered some of our questions, but we will go back next Wednesday and the following Wednesday to meet with the OB Coordinator and to (hopefully!) find the heartbeat transabdominally with the Doppler.

I have been feeling okay...lots of morning/afternoon/evening sickness and lots of feeling constantly exhausted, but Tom has been a trooper. He must go to the grocery store 3 times a week to buy Saltines, canned fruit and Popsicles for me. I was given a prescription for the morning sickness and it helped tremendously, but my insurance only covers 21 pills in a 30-day period, and since I take 2 pills a day on average, I ran out before I was eligible for a refill. I got a prescription for a different nausea medication, but it seems to be a lot less effective and makes me a lot more tired. I guess my best bet is to stick with the "soup and crackers diet" until I can get my good prescription refilled.

I'm looking forward to keeping everyone updated via the blog and being able to post photos and news so that we can share it with all of you who aren't close by!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sooo in love already!!!!! That sonogram shows a very perfect beautiful baby!!!!!!
    Love you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Glissman is lucky to have you and Tom for parents. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh congrats!!!!! I had no idea until now!! That is SO exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete