Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Inn is Up and Running

We've had a busy couple weeks as far as having visitors goes lately. We had my dad a couple weeks ago, which I mentioned before. Then, last weekend, my mom's parents stopped and stayed with us for couple days on their way down to Florida. We had a really nice visit with them. They didn't get in until Saturday evening, which worked out well because we had tickets to the Bobcats/Cavs game on Friday night (which turned out to be a bummer because they lost, but have no fear, Tom's spirits were quickly lifted when he got his "Get That Weak Stuff Outta Here" shirt signed by Austin Carr).

On Saturday during the day, it was beautiful out, and Tom was officiating, so I took the dogs to the dog park. Apparently everyone in the greater Charlotte area had the same plan, because I stopped counting dogs when I hit 40. We stayed for about an hour, and I'm not even sure why, because our dogs don't understand the purpose of a dog park apparently. Bauer just trots around the perimeter, sniffing things and not even glancing up at dogs who try to engage him in play. Scarlet was quite obviously overwhelmed by the whole concept because she stood right by me the whole time, until she realized that I was not going to help her, so then she spent the rest of the time there trying to butter up other families in hopes that they would take pity on her. Neither of our dogs showed any interest in other dogs. Bauer did especially enjoy the giant mud puddle he discovered right before we left. He tried (in vain) to dig a hole in the mud, which only resulted in him splashing mud on himself and everything in a ten foot radius. Needless to say, he was not going into my car like that, so I walked them down to the lake and they had a blast running up and down the shoreline and wading in the water.

When my grandparents arrived that night, we ordered some dinner and spent the rest of the night relaxing and watching TV. On Sunday, after a breakfast at Toast, Tom and Grandpa cleaned out the garage and washed the cars while Grandma and I did a little shopping. We took them to Mac's for a delicious barbeque dinner (and even ordered fried pickles-- yum!). They left on Monday morning and headed down to Florida to spend a few days with my parents, who met them down there.

This weekend, we spent Friday night at a Newlywed Couples Meetup at a place called "Eat Here Now." The menu looked pretty good, but since it was a Friday in Lent, our options were pretty limited. We ended up sitting across from a couple from Ohio and turns out, the guy graduated from Hudson High. Further proof that the world is incredibly small, especially if you live in North Carolina and you are originally from Ohio. We met a few nice people and will probably try to attend another event sometime soon.

Last night, Renee and Mike made a spontaneous trip to Charlotte for the night. We had a pretty low-key day/night. We grilled burgers and had a yummy dinner before going outside to sit around the fire pit for a while. We made s'mores and had a few drinks and had a nice time. I think Renee and I are going to sign Mike and Tom up for Boy Scouts or something, though, so they can improve on their fire-building and maintaining skills (because as proven last night, putting mass amounts of newspaper and the whole top of a Christmas tree on a dwindling fire is not an effective strategy). Today, we realized that there were a bunch of open houses in the neighborhood next to ours, so we walked the dogs around and visited the open houses. All in all, it was a pretty good weekend.

If you find yourself in the Charlotte area, feel free to stop by and stay a while-- after all of these visitors, I'm not sure we would know what to do with ourselves when its just the two of us for a whole weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment