So far, 2010 has been pretty decent. Most exciting was the visit from my parents this past weekend. They got into town late on Friday. Then, on Saturday, the weather was nice (50's) so we went for a walk in the morning (with some post-walk Bojangles for Dad) and to Birkdale Village in the afternoon and walked around some shops. Dad and Tom spent most of the time at Total Wine. Then, we went out to eat at a great place called Alexander Michael's downtown, where we were introduced to fried pickles (yum!). I had gotten free Charlotte Bobcats (basketball) tickets from work, so we took Mom and Dad to the game. It turned out to be not such an exciting game because the Bobcats were ahead by double the score of the Suns for the whole game. Afterwards, we went out for a couple drinks at Blackfinn, a downtown bar. On Sunday, Mom and I went to some home furnishings stores while Dad and Tom watched football playoffs. I finally got a new table for my entryway (the old one was just an end table and didn't fit right). I also got some new things for the walls in my bathroom, which is making me want to paint it now so that it will all look put together! We ordered barbecue for dinner and watched Desperate Housewives while enjoying some delicious wine my dad brought. On Monday (MLK Day so no work-- hooray!) we went for a long walk in the park behind our neighborhood, which Bauer appreciated. It was BEAUTIFUL out and reminded us why we moved here! Then after a lunch at Panera, Mom and Dad headed back to Ohio. I was sad to see them go because 1) I miss them and 2) I knew their leaving meant it was back to reality (school) for me. Bummer. I'm not sure when we will make the drive up to Ohio to see them, but hopefully soon! Sometimes I wish we lived closer, but then I remember the snow and gray skies and I feel a little better :)
Tom and I took my parents to church with us on Sunday. Our New Year's resolution was to go religiously (no pun intended) every Sunday. We admittedly hadn't been doing so well with that but we have gone every week so far since dedicating ourselves to it and I am hoping that we can get involved in some events through the church soon. We are even having our portrait taken for the parish directory (free, of course, or I wouldn't do it) so I guess then we will really have to go every week! I will feel much better being my cousin Alyssa's confirmation sponsor in March knowing that I have been a good Catholic myself :)
I have also been trying to exersize on a regular-ish basis. Anything is an improvement from my normal "walk over to plug in the laptop cord and then get a glass of wine" exersize regimen. We bought a Gazelle, one of those machines from a cheesy infommerical, for $40 off of Craig's List. I have used it a handful of times already and the long walks with Mom and Dad this weekend helped too. Hopefully I will keep it up!
I found out this week that the mom of an old high school friend passed away from breast cancer. I spent quite a few hours on Monday reading the journal she kept online before she passed and walked away from it all with the realization that it should not take tragedy for people to reach out to one another. Oftentimes, it is a horrible event that brings people together and makes people finally do and say what they should have done or said ages ago. So, on that note...to my wonderful family who reads this-- know that I love you all so much!! Don't worry, I know you feel the same way about me, because only people who really care about me would take the time to read my super exciting blog, right? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment