As promised, we finally got around to taking an updated pregnancy photo. This was taken around 19 1/2 weeks. I compared it to a photo I took of week 19 when I was pregnant with Libby (which you can see here if you're so inclined) and I feel like I'm maybe carrying a bit higher (?) but it mostly all looks the same to me.
A few people have mentioned recently that I'm not posting as often as I used to, which is a totally true statement. Some of that is logistics--preschooler Libby actually demands more of my time than infant Libby did and also we have what may be the world's worst laptop. I dread using this thing to post.
There's another reason I've been posting less, and I've had trouble putting it into words until I came across this blog. As soon as I started reading some of her posts, all I could think was "Yes! Exactly!" Some of the points that really stood out to me--
Meals at the kitchen table, carpooling to practice every day, morning send offs and nightly tuck ins all hold great potential—potential to be all there. Within the duties of life, there are opportunities to meet her gaze in the rearview mirror … to ask her questions … to listen to her thoughts … to sit beside her as she does something she enjoys ... opportunities to sing along to the music of her life. via
You see, when I get online, whether it is to peruse social media, check email, or read articles, not only do I lose time, but I also lose perspective. Suddenly those little perfect moments in my world are harder – if not impossible – to feel because suddenly I’m thrust into someone else’s world. Whether I like it or not, being online causes me to lay my life next to the life of someone else and compare. And then like an outfit that I thought was so awesome standing in the coziness of my closet, it suddenly lacks luster when held against the fashions of everyone else at the party. via
Everything we do these days can be validated in an instant by posting it on social media — we even post our meals and desserts for our friends to ogle and 'like.' Maybe it is a valuable skill to learn to be able to say, 'That was awesome' with just the people who experience it with us and not the outside world. via
“When I was getting out the phone to take pictures, I was also missing a moment. Yes, you’re capturing that, but as you’re filming your recital with your phone you’re putting that screen between you and that moment.” via
Ten years from now, I’ll be delivering my eight year-old to her college dorm. When I do, I want to look back and remember the many times I said yes, and the opportunities I snatched up because I knew all too well just how fleeting they were. via
I can recall a time when you were out with your children you were really with them. You engaged in a back and forth dialog even if they were pre-verbal. You said, ‘Look at the bus, see the doggie, etc.’ Now I see you on the phone, pushing your kids on the swings while distracted by your devices. You think you are spending time with them but you are not present really. When I see you pick up your kids at day care while you’re on the phone, it breaks my heart. They hear your adult conversations. What do they overhear? What is the message they receive? I am not important; I am not important.” via
Its no secret that I don't have a smartphone. And interestingly enough, I really don't want one. For one, its money I'd rather not spend, but the bigger issue is that without a smartphone, I don't have the temptation to be "connected" all the live-long day. Tom may very well argue that I'm glued to the iPad between the hours of 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. (and he probably has a valid point) but I love that I can take Libby to the park or be sitting around the table at my parents' house and not have the option of uploading a photo to Instagram or checking Facebook obsessively. Don't get me wrong, technology is wonderful (we love FaceTime-ing with our Virginia family!) and I'm certainly not perfect by any means, but its important to me to have real connections with those around me--especially Libby. I want to not only be there to connect with her, but also to teach her the importance of really connecting with others in this social-media-driven world.
So yes, I've been posting less lately. And I probably won't pick up the pace of posts anytime soon--partially because I have the holidays/house hunting/new baby all looming up ahead--but also because I'm busy. Busy with making dinner and running errands and cleaning bathrooms and folding laundry, yes. But more importantly, busy being with my daughter. Because like this video reminds us, time goes a lot faster than we think, and without a doubt, these are the people in my life worth connecting with--
I couldn't be prouder of you! Being truly present with Libby is so important because these magical years go so quickly!
ReplyDelete