I'll admit, I totally forgot that tomorrow was Ash Wednesday until about 3:00 this afternoon (which is the day before Lent, for anyone keeping track). When I started thinking about what I wanted to give up, I struggled, as I do every year. My mom always told us growing up that we could choose to DO something instead of giving something up, and I'm always open to that idea, but I always have a hard time figuring out what to add or take away from my life for forty days.
To me, Lent should mean something. Its not about giving something up just because everyone else is doing it. Sure I could say I'm giving up soda or chocolate, but that wouldn't really be too much trouble for me and that doesn't seem right. Lent should be about doing something that brings me closer to God and spending 40 days without my friend Dr. Pepper doesn't quite cut it.
So this year, I'm trying something new. Its no secret that I'm a total Type A personality who some might dare to label a "control freak." (I won't dispute this claim, but I will defend myself by saying that every elementary school teacher I have ever met is a Type A control freak--its part of the job requirement.) Being the bossypants that I am has its perks--things get done when I'm around. And they get done "right." Unfortunately, "right" usually translates to "Sarah's Way" around here and Tom ends up getting criticized for not vacuuming the stairs the right way or for not making an effort to actually stand Libby up in the tub to wash her legs. And it probably wouldn't kill me to just step back, take a deep breath and let.it.go.
For Lent this year, I am officially giving up criticizing my dear husband. Forty days of just chilling out and teaching myself that my way is not always the right way. The stairs (and Libby) may be a little dirtier for the next forty days, but my marriage and my faith will be stronger, and that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
(By the way, if you need some inspiration for sacrifices of your own during this Lenten season, check out this post.)
Sarah -- you are AMAZING! I am so proud to have you for a granddaughter. Tom and LIbby and our whole family are so lucky to have you in our lives. I love you....grandma
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I really like Lenten intentions that are more than just giving up pop or chocolate (though everyone has their own personal sacrifice).
ReplyDeleteI thought about giving up wine for about five minutes, but then I decided that not complaining and making more of an effort to pray would be a lot more meaningful. Plus, Jesus liked wine, am I right?
Um, if I recall correctly, Jesus was a big fan of passing out wine to any and everyone he met. He would totally frown upon one giving up wine. Drink on, sister.
DeleteThis is admirable and probably something every married couple should consider. Tell Tom I'm sorry it will only last for 40 days though. :)
ReplyDelete